The Swing....

The Swing....
Grinding everyday

#TEAMGAESTEL

Thursday, May 30, 2013

Staff Writer for Bunkers Paradise

In my pursuit of being picked to Play Famously for Team JPX and Mizuno Golf I have hit the twitter pretty hard. I have tried to reach as many people that I thought might be able to share my story and this blog. In doing so I have caught the eye of several people who have been very kind to me and one is Ken Lee the Senior Editor of Bunkers Paradise. When I was hitting the twitter world with my story I came across a golf website that I had followed for a year or so reading articles and entering contest and so I sent Bunkers Paradise a tweet that said something like, If I get picked to Play famously for Mizuno maybe I could write for you guys. That day I got a Direct Message from Ken Lee asking what I would write about and what my interest in golf might be and then he told me that he was looking for a Staff Writer to write about various golf related articles and so I started writing. This is the article I wrote that gave Ken the confidence to give me a chance.
The Patriot Cup-Raising awareness and money for Military Families -By Tim Gaestel This Weekend marks the 4th annual Patriots Cup golf tournament held in Owasso, OK honoring the Wounded Veterans through the Folds of Honor organization, it’s a chance for celebrities and Professional golfers a like to raise money for scholarships and awareness for our returning Veterans. This event is described as, “The Most Heroic Round Ever Played” and a tournament that can do a lot for our Veterans and their families. Major Dan Rooney who started the Folds of Honored did so to help support Military families and with achieving a college education. As we look at some of the Pros who are out supporting the Patriot Cup this weekend the names read off like any event on the Tour and I imagine that as more people learn what our Veterans are going through as they return from combat, more and more will join the ranks at this event. This week one of the Professional Golfers out on the course is Scott McCarron, I had the pleasure of playing a round of golf with Scott last year in Las Vegas and it was there that I learned about his support for Veterans. The reason I was able to play the round of golf with Scott is because he chose my story out of thousands for a chance to attend the Justin Timberlake Shriner Open and play a round of golf with a Tour Professional. He picked my entry because my story took place while I was in Iraq and he told me that he had a lot of support for Veterans and our active duty military and wanted to do what he could to show his support. I reached out to Scott to ask him a few questions about the Patriot Cup.
How did you get involved with the Folds of Honor Organization? I met Major Dan Rooney while he was a Professional Golfer and played in the first annual Patriot Cup and it was one of the most worth wild Pro-Am’s I’ve ever had the privilege of playing.
The PGA Tour is very proud of their contributions to charity organizations and there are a lot of choices out there but what makes this event different?
The PGA does a lot of amazing charities but this tournament is special to me because of Major Dan Rooney, he is a very special guy and does a lot for Military families and the problems they face.
Playing in an event like this can take you and the other Tour Professionals away from a lot of money that could be made at a regular event (like the Colonial and the BMW Championship) Why this event? Over the last decade our country has faced a lot and our Veterans have done so much, this organization does a lot to help those who have given so much to our country and their families.
Do you think you will participate in future Patriot Cup tournaments?
I have played in 2 Patriot Cup tournaments with Major Dan Rooney and several Patriot Day Golf events. I had the privilege of playing with Major Dan Rooney’s father once and I hope to continue participating in these events.
How can my readers help the Folds of Honor Organization? Visit the http://www.foldsofhonor.org website and consider donating to help military families.
You may remember Scott McCarron from the controversy over the Ping Eye wedges that Phil Mickelson was using under the legal technicality, when I asked him about it he simply told me he never called Phil a cheater and he was just making a statement about how the loophole wasn't fair to the other players on the Tour. Scott McCarron is a great guy and a great representative for the PGA Tour, and I cant thank Major Dan Rooney more for what he is doing every day. I wish all of the participants in this year’s Patriot Cup the best of luck and raising awareness and money to help Military Families.
Since then Ken made it official on May 29th that I would be joining the Bunkers Paradise team and even published my first story. Here is link to the article. http://www.bunkersparadise.com/what-age-is-too-young-to-compete-on-the-pga-tour/
I am excited to be apart of Bunkers Paradise and look forward to contributing more over various golf related topics.
Thanks! Tim

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff Tim and thanks for the kind words. Keep up the great work.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete